Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Closet

You were away that night.

I tip-toed into your room
and opened your closet
rummaging through this and that

I found him hiding
behind some old knick-knacks
on the third shelf on the right.

Afraid to speak,
looking scared
in spite of the perpetual grin on his face;
I offered him some courage from the bottle in my pocket
He drank it all up as I stared into his empty sockets
And then he spoke.
We spoke.
About this and that
and we laughed
till I innocently slipped in the Question
and he slipped, replied.
Then stopped.

You were away that night.
You, who will never return.

-Amit

7 comments:

  1. Electricity? Cockroach? I don't get it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! noo :D
    just the 'skeleton in the cupboard'

    Not your fault though. Some others read it and so far, i've got 'murder?' and 'photograph?'.
    and now 'cockroach' :D
    I think i really gotta re-write this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... though 'you, who will never return' suits electricity too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I should've thought more philosophically. It's just that the previous few poems of your have been very anti-climactic, funny in the end :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. A classic case of shouting wolf :|

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heehee :D Quite complex but this one, atleast to me. Maybe I've lost it for poetry I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't rewrite! The mystery adds to the charm. Re-writing might ruin it. See that's the thing, there will be as many interpretations as there are people - I thought 'mirror'.

    ReplyDelete